The Great Suppression: Voting Rights, Corporate Cash, and the Conservative Assault on Democracy
. The report shall include a summary, which explains and discusses the following issues:
1. What was the Republican conservative reaction, as expressed by Senator Mitch McConnell, to the election of Barack Obama in 2008?
2.. In recent years, what tactics have been used by the Republican Party at the state level to deprive black people, Latinos, and poor people of their right to vote.
3. What is the difference between voter suppression and voter fraud, and what positions have the Democratic and Republican parties taken on this issue? Explain the reason for each position.
4. What is gerrymandering? Which political party has, in recent years, most frequently used the practice?
5. Explain the effect of the Supreme Court decision, Shelby County versus Holder upon the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
6. Explain the effect of the "Citizens United" Supreme court decision upon the role of money in politics. How was that decision related to the First Amendment right to freedom of speech?
7. Which of the two major political parties has, in recent years, been the principal beneficiary of unlimited spending in politics?
8. What was the effect of Republican opposition to the Obama stimulus bill of 2009? What has been the economic effect of the stimulus bill?
9. How does the Constitution provide for the election of U.S. Senators? How was that process amended in 1913? In what ways is the process of electing Senators still undemocratic?
10. If democracy means that each voter has the right to have their vote counted equally with each other voter, what are the problems caused by the procedure of election of the President of the United States by an electoral college?
Add a concluding paragraph that describes your overall reaction to the book.
The report must be an original expression of your understanding of what you have read. Do not paraphrase. If you include quotes from the book, use them to support and substantiate your own expression. Use quotation marks and follow the quote with the page number in the book in parenthesis. Copying without appropriate references is plagiarism, which will result in a failing grade.