HIS 101 Test Review Menu
Test Review for HIS 101 Extra Test
1. Where did the first civilizations developed?
2. What was the most essential forerunner of the first civilizations?
3. What do cave paintings, pyramids, temples, mosques, synagogues, and churches all have in common?
4. What form did the first known attempts to explain creation take?
5. Which ancient Middle Eastern Empire was known for its tolerance of diversity?
6. What does monotheism mean?
7. What was the polis?
8. What was the attitude towards homosexuality in ancient Greece?
9. What is the primary significance of ancient Greek civilization to the modern world?
10. What is the primary significance of ancient Hebrew civilization to the modern world?
11. What is mythology and what is its value?
12. What category or classification is signified by the terms Semitic and Indo-European?
13. What are the engines or driving factors behind the progress of civilization?
14. What key economic achievement may be attributed to Hellenistic civilization?
15. What major problem contributed to the decline of the Roman Republic and later to the Roman Empire?
16. Why was Rome successful in building an empire while the Greeks of the classical period were not?
17. Why were people attracted to Christianity during the Roman era?
18. What is the relationship between Judaism, Christianity and Islam?
19. In feudal Europe, what was the relationship between lords and vassals, and lords and serfs?
20. Which institution united all of medieval Europe?
21. How did the guilds of medieval Europe encourage economic development?
22. What was the political effect of the development of towns and cities in medieval Europe?
23. What were the primary characteristics and highest achievements of medieval Europe?
24. How can you best describe the Crusades of the 12th and 13th centuries?
25. What was manorialism?
26. What circumstances made it possible for the great cathedrals of medieval times to be built?
27. What were the major disasters of 14th century Europe?
28. What was the dominant political institution of Early Modern Europe?
29. What were the political circumstances on the Iberian peninsula in the late Medieval period and during the Age of Exploration?
30. What was the reaction of the Roman Catholic Church to the Protestant Reformation?
31. What were the most important consequences of the Protestant Reformation?
32. What were the circumstances and effects of the Thirty Years War?
33. How much power did the French monarchy have as compared with the Church and as compared with the feudal nobility during the late medieval period?