HIS-101 Review for 1st Test Professor West
1. Why were the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers important to the development of civilization?
2. What were the most important characteristics of the Paleolithic era?
3. What was the use and significance of the ziggurat?
4. How did people in the first civilizations attempt to explain the origins of the universe and of life?
5. What were the major characteristics of Hammurabi's Code of Laws?
6. What was the attitude of Sumerians in response to their environment?
7. What rights did the common folk of Egypt have?
8. What change brought the single most important transformation in human life and circumstances in Pre-historic times?
9. Describe the characteristics of the foreign policy of Cyrus the Great, the Persian king, and how this helped the Persians to build and maintain a large empire.
10. Describe the principal characteristics of the Phoenicians.
11. Describe the principal characteristics of the Assyrians.
12. What circumstances and events became possible after the collapse of the Egyptian and Hittite empires?
13. What was the emphasis of the Zoroastrian religion?
14. What was the largest, most extensive empire of the Ancient Near Fast?
15. What is the meaning of monotheism?
16. Which Greek city-state had the most influence in the Delian League?
17. How can a Polis best be described?
18. In the ancient Greek world, what did the word tyrant mean?
19. What type of writing are the Iliad and the Odyssey?
20. What was the status of women in ancient Greece?
21. Who were the two most famous historians of Ancient Greece?
22. How did the ancient Greeks react to homosexuality?
23. What conditions made Neolithic agriculture possible?
24. What is the geographical explanation for the lack of unity among the ancient Greeks?
25. What is the primary significance of classical Greek civilization to the modern world?
26. What is the primary significance of Hebrew civilization to the modern world?
27. What do the epic of Gilgamesh in Mesopotamia, and the building of the pyramids in Egypt illustrate?
28. Why was the Mesopotamian civilization more pessimistic than the Egyptian civilization?
29. Two primary attributes of civilization are?
30. What is mythology and what is its significance?
31. What is the relationship or connection between the Near Eastem Civilizations and the civilizations of the river valleys of China and India?
32. What do the terms Indo-European and Semitic describe or refer to?
33. What have been the pathways or processes by which human progress and achievement has been determined during the history of the ancient Near East?