HIS-101 Review for Final Prof. West
1. What were the major political and economic disasters of the 14th century?
2.. What did the 14th century Conciliar Movement do?
3 What is the pre-occupation and focus of Renaissance painting and sculpture?
4. What was the historical significance of written vernacular languages?
5. How can the political circumstances of Renaisssance Italy be best described?
6. What were the major differences between the Renaissance in Italy and the Renaissance in northern Europe?
7. What is the Renaissance scholar Erasmus most noted for?
8. How did the French monarchy manage its relations with the church in Late Medieval times?
9. How is the Iberian peninsula significant in relation to feudal monarchies, overseas empires, and religious matters?
10. In what region of Europe was the Catholic Church most effective in reforming itself, and establishing its influence?
11. How do you best describe the political circumstances in the Holy Roman Empire during the late medieval period?
12. How do you best describe the political circumstances in England duirng the Tudor dynasty?
13. Where in Europe was Lutheranism established?
14. Where was Calvinism established and where did it spread?
15. Where and why was Anglicanism established?
16. How did the Roman Catholic Church react to the Protestant Reformation?
17. How can you best describe the nature of the Protestant Reformation?
18. Which monarch was the foremost champion of the Catholic cause during the Catholic counter-Reformation?
19. Who was one of the most successful military leaders during the Thirty Years War?
20. Which famous monarch retained the throne in spite of a Catholic conspiracy to overthrow?
21. Which monarch brought an end to a prolonged civil war between Catholics and Portestants by converting to Catholicism?
23. What were the characteristics and effect of the Thirty Years War?
24. Which area was the center of European trade in the 17th century?
25. Which Europeans first began overseas explorations and which ones became involved within a century later?
26. After the Treaty of Westphalia, which ushered in the era of Early Modern Europe, how was Europe organized politically?
27. How was the practice of marriage arranged during the Middle Ages in Europe?
28. How did craft guilds begin to change by the 14th century?
29. How did the Hundred Years War affect England?
30. Why was there peasant/landlord conflict in the 14th century?
31. How was the Plague brought into Europe?
32. What were the economic circumstances of most Renaissance artists?
33. Where did the Renaissance begin?
34. What does the term Renaissance mean?
35. What was the situation of the city of Florence at the time of the Renaissance?
36. How did men view the role of educated women during the Renaissance?
37. What was the War of the Roses about?
38. Why did Luther tack the Ninety-five Theses to the church door in Wittenberg?
39. According to Luther, how do Christians obtain forgiveness?
40. Who wrote "The Institutes of the Christian Religion"?
41. What was the central idea or cornerstone of Caivinism?
42. What was the role of John Knox?
43. What was the political effect of Lutheranism in Germany?
44. What were the reasons for the introduction of Anglicanism in England?
45. What areas of Europe experienced the spread of Protestantism?
46. What has the Spanish Netherlands become in modern times?
47. What were the primary effects of the Treaty of Westphalia?
48. What was a primary motive of the Portuguese in their overseas exploration?