Test Review Menu
HIS 101 Midterm Test Review
1. How much authority did the PATERFAMILIAS have? (during the era of the Roman Republic)
2. What was the fatal flaw which led to the downfall of the Roman Republic, and later to the downfall of the Empire?
3. What effect did the civil wars in the latter days of the Roman Republic have upon agriculture and land ownership?
4. Why did Rome succeed in building an empire while the ancient Greeks failed to do so?
5. What was the relationship of Roman colonies to Rome as compared with the relationship of Greek colonies to Greece?
6. What was the backbone or mainstay of Roman agriculture in the Augustan Age?
7. What was the essential message of Virgil's Aeneid?
8. What was happening during the third century A.D. period when the Empire was ruled by the "Barracks emperors"?
9. What was the state or condition of farm and village life in the Roman Empire during the turmoil of the third century A.D.?
10. How did the emperor Diocletian attempt to restore order in the empire?
11. Before Christianity was legalized in the Empire, what did Roman authorities demand of Christians?
12. Why were so many people attracted to Christianity in the early centuries of the religion?
13. What were the goals and the religious background of Jesus of Nazareth?
14. Who was most responsible for the spread of Christianity to non-Jewish people in the Roman Empire?
15. Which civilizations were located around the Mediterranean basin by the 8th century A.D.?
16. What is the relationship between the religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam?
17. In what intellectual areas did the Islamic civilization make its greatest contribution to Western civilization?
18. For what achievement was the Byzantine emperor Justinian renowned?
19. What characteristics of the Benedictine monastic movement caused it to become more successful than any other in early Western European history?
20. What are some of the essential characteristics of the religion of Islam?
21. What was the relationship between the warrior aristocracy and the peasantry in the feudal system of early Medieval Europe?
22. Which institution formed a bond which united all of western European civilization in Medieval times?
23. What was the role of guilds in the European medieval economy?
24. What was the effect of the development of towns and urban commercial centers in the High Medieval period?
25. What was the foundation of the political power of the feudal monarchies which developed in France and England?
26. How much power did the feudal monarchy in England have during the High Medieval period?
27. Why did feudal monarchies not develop in the geographical regions of Germany and Italy?
28. What are the most notable characteristics of the High Medieval civilization?
29. What did the Crusades involve?
30. Which peoples invaded the area of European civilization in the 9th and 10th centuries?
31. How is manorialism related to feudalism?
32. The Medieval feudal system defined the rights and powers of which group of people in European society?
33. What can be learned, and what is significant about the narrative poem of BEOWULF?
34. Why did the Carolingian Empire collapse after the death of Charlemagne?
35. Why did the Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV oppose Pope Gregory VII?
36. What were the goals of the Gregorian reform movement?
37. What were the effects of the Crusades upon women in Europe?
38. In what area of Europe did the struggle over investiture have the greatest impact?
39. What was significant or important about the Papal Curia?
40. What advances in energy use occurred in the Medieval economy?
41. Why was William I successful in consolidating his authority in Normandy?
42. What event in the lives of noblemen brought the full responsibilities of adulthood upon them?
43. How did most men become noblemen or aristocrats in Medieval Europe?
44. What kind of education did most noblemen or aristocrats receive in Medieval Europe?
45. What was the diet of most peasants?
46. What was the role of the medieval cathedral in the villages and towns of Europe?
47. What did a medieval manor consist of?
48. What type of family arrangement was characteristic of the European peasantry?
49. What important principles were implied in the Magna Charta or Great Charter?
50. What circumstances stimulated the surge of cathedral building in the 12th and 13th centuries?