HIS-102 Review for 2nd Test Prof. West
1. How did European population levels fluctuate from 1300 to 1700?
2. What was the traditional method of organizing farmland? How did that change?
3. What deficiencies in diet did 17th century Europeans suffer?
4. What was the traditional basis upon which marriage was decided?
5. What was the average age of marriage in 17th century Europe?
6. What was the practice of wet-nursing? its social consequences?
7. Which state was England's major economic competitor in the 17th century?
8. Which state was England's major national competitor in the 18th century?
9. Where did the 17th-18th century agricultural revolution begin?
10. What were the results of the breakdown of traditional patterns of marriage and family life in the late 18th century?
11. How effective were hospitals in 18th century Europe?
12. What was the greatest medical triumph of the 18th century?
13. In general, how were children treated in 17th century Europe?
14. How did the role of the family change as a result of the industrial revolution?
15. What was the impact of the introduction of the potato to Europe?
16. What was the connection between population growth and industrialization?
17. What did modernization in l7th-l8th century Europe involve?
18. What were the social effects of cottage industry?
19. What was mercantilism?
20. What was the mercantilist attitude toward the state?
21. What was the essential idea of Adam Smith?
22. Why was England ready for industrialization by the mid-18th century?
23. What major economic change and population change occurred during the 18th century?
24. What was the usual reason for postponing marriage?
25. What were the proportions of males and females in the population before and after the industrial revolution?
26 What is the event or circumstance which represents a political divide between the traditional and modern worlds?
27. What are the phases of the liberal revolution?
28. Why did England not have a liberal revolution in the 18th century?
29. Why did Russia not have a liberal revolution in the l8th century?
30. What were the causes of the liberal revolution?
31. What was the main goal of the liberal revolution?
32. What determined the legitimacy of political power before the industrial revolution? What is supposed to determine legitimacy today?
33. What was the outcome of the Seven Years War?
34. What impact did the American Revolution have upon France?
35. Who bore the major share of taxes in pre-revolutionary France?
36. What were the main causes for the French Revolution?
37. What triggered the outbreak of the French Revolution?
38. How did the French Revolution affect the French peasants?
39. What kind of government was established in the 1st stage of the French Revolution?.
40. How was the French National Assembly created during the French Revolution?
41. Why did the common people of Paris become involved at the beginning of the French Revolution?
42. How did the French Revolution change attitudes about the desirability of change?
43. What were the economic and political conditions of the English colonists (Americans) prior to the American Revolution?
44. In what phase of the French Revolution did Napoleon rule?
45. To which groups in France did Napoleon appeal for support?
46. Who was responsible for bringing an end to
the Holy Roman Empire?