HIS-102 Review for 3rd Test Prof. West
1. What was the major underlying cause for many of the significant changes of the 18th and 19th centuries?
2. Where did industrialization begin?
3. In what areas was modernization most advanced?
4. What are the phases or processes of political revolutions?
5. How would you describe Napoleon I as a ruler?
6. What did the Congress of Vienna attempt to do?
7. Upon what was the power of the old regime based?
8. Upon what was the power of the English government based in the early 19th century?
9. Upon what was the power of King Louis Philippe's government based?
10. Where did the problems of urban congestion first develop?
11. What happened to the plans of the European
powers to intervene in
Latin America in the 1820's and why?
12. Why did the revolutions of 1848 occur?
13. How were the revolutions of 1848 significant?
14. What did the counter-revolutions of
l849 reveal about the depth and
thoroughness of the revolutions of 1848?
15. Why did the Frankfurt Conference fail?
16. How were the revolutions of 1848 reversed in Italy and Hungary?
17. What were the "dual revolutions" of the 19th century?
18. What ideology is most identified with the middle class?
19. What changes occurred in health, medicine, and population in Europe during the last half of the 19th century? What changes occurred in urban values?
20. What was the significance of Marxism in the
l9th century? What was
the basis for the appeal of Marxism?
21. Why was England able to escape revolutionary upheaval in the 19th century?
22. Were the upper, middle, and lower classes
internally homogeneous or
were there considerable differences within each class?
23. What was the distribution of wealth between classes during the last half of the 19th century?
24. What was the first sector of industry to industrialize in England?
25. What was the primary source of energy in the early industrial revolution?
26. What natural assets, what pre-conditions, and what challenges led to industrialization in England?
27. What was the most revolutionary
new means of transportation which
was necessary for industrialization?
28. What were the major results of early industrialization?
29. What was the bacterial revolution and what were its effects?
30. What happened to per capita economic growth in India and China during the 19th century?
31. How rapidly did economic growth occur in France during the 19th century?
32. What type of goods did the first factories produce?
33. How did control and supervision of workers change as cottage industry was replaced by factories?
34. Which country was the most technologically advanced in the first half of the 19th century?
35. What were the causes for Eng1and's early industrialization?
36. What was the single most important
technological advance made in the
early industrial period (1750-1850)?
37. Why was industrialization on the continent delayed in the early l9th century?
38. Who benefited from the English Corn Laws?
39. What did Marx believe to be the key to understanding history?
40. What did Adam Smith believe about economic
government regulation of the economy?
41. What ideology was shared by the leaders at the Congress of Vienna?
42. Why did the major powers almost go to war with each other in 1815?
43. What major boundary agreements regarding
western Europe were
reached at the Congress of Vienna?
44. What did the English Reform Bill of 1832 accomplish?
45. What was the major demand of the English Chartists?
46. How did the division of labor by sex change
in the 19th century?