HIS-102 Review for 4th Test Prof. West
1. How did the Italians unify by 1870?
2. How did the Germans unify by 1871?
3. How would you describe the Prussian state in the mid 19th century?
4. What reforms were introduced in the Austrian Empire to deal with ethnic unrest?
5. To what extent did Russsia modernize in the mid 19th century?
6. How would you describe the Austrian Empire in the mid 19th century?
7. How would you describe Russia in the mid 19th century?
8. What was the significance of the Civil War for the United States?
9. What were the consequences of the unification of Germany?
10. Why would the political situatlon in Europe during the period 1871-1914 be described as a time of relative peace and stability? What factors created peace and stability after 1871?
11. How did Europeans justfy their imperial expansion?
12. What scientific progress and religious
controversies arose during the
last half of the 19th century?
13. Why were Europeans able to carry out
imperialistic expansion so
successfully during the last half of the 19th century?
14. Why did Europe divide into two opposing alliances after 1890?
15. What was the most unstable area of Europe in 1914?
16. What was the most powerful nation-state in Europe in 1914?
17. What was a primary cause for World War I?
18. What was the significance of nationalism in Europe by 1871?
19. What was significant about emigration from Europe in the 19th century?
20. What happened to the price level and to world trade in the last half of the nineteenth century?
21. How had sex roles changed by the last half
of the 19th century as a
result of the industrial revolution?
22. What was the basis for the power of Napoleon III? How would you describe him as a ruler?
23. How, in a word, can you describe the ideology of the French peasantry in the 19th century?
24. What was the effect of nationalism upon traditional
a narrow base of support in the aristocracy?
25. How was nationalism related to Italian unification, German unification, the popularity of Napoleon III in France, and the outcome of the Civil War in the United States?
26. Why was the Crimean War fought on Russian territory?
27. What was the name given to the style of literature and art during the last half of the 19th century in Europe?
28. What did August Comte believe was the best method for acquiring knowledge?
29. What developments in science and technology occurred in the last half of the 19th century?
30. What Is Darwin's theory of evolution?
31. How did the difference in average income between
non-industrialized countries change in the 19th century?
32. Why did Britain and China go to war in the 1840,s?
33. Which country received the largest number of immigrants from Europe in the 19th century?
34. What was the result of western influence on Japan in the 19th century?
35. What was the German Zollverein? What was the Russian Zemstvo?
36. What effect did the Crimean War have on Russian domestic reform?
37. Who ruled Hungary after the 1867 reform in which the Austrian Empire became Austria-Hungary?
38. To which state did Italians look for leadership after 1850?
39. What change in German policy in the 1890,s most upset the British?
40. What govemments were most 1ikely to be upset about nationalism in the Balkans?
41. What were the goals of Bismarck's system of
alliances? ---- of his
foreign policy after German unification had been achieved?
42. What was the Schlieffen Plan?
43. What developments promoted world trade in
the last half of the 19th century?