HIS-102 Review for 5th Test Prof. West
1. What were the major causes for World War I?
2. What were the reasons why the war quickly expanded from a local Balkan conflict to a global war?
3. Describe the nature of the war on both the fighting fronts and the home front.
4. At the outset, what kind of support did people give to the war?
5. What was the over-all impact of the war insofar as long range changes, the economy, and the international rules of war?
6. What was the effect and relationship of the war to long range development.
7. Why did the Austro-Hungarian Empire collapse during the war?
8. Why did the Russian Empire collapse during the war?
9. Why did the German Empire collapse during the war?
10. How widespread were the effects of World War I?
11. Why did the United States become involved in the war?
12. What was the effect of United States' involvement in the war?
13. What happened in the first phase of the Russian Revolution?
14. What happened in the second phase of the Russian Revolution?
15. What was a central idea of Lenin's which led to the split between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks in 1903?
16. Why was Lenin successful in achieving power in Russia in 1917? How did he appeal to the Russian people?
17. What was Leninís New Economic Policy of 1921?
18. Compare the nature of the new Soviet government with the old government of Czarist Russia.
19. What were the experiences of the Russian farmer during the inter-war years?
20. What effect, if any, did WWI have upon women?
21. What were the major features of the Versailles Peace Treaty?
22. Which nation had the greatest interest in strict enforcement of the Versailles Treaty?
23. Who occupied the German Ruhr in 1923?
24. What was the mood of European society in the decade following WWI?
25. What was the "spirit of Locarno"?
26. Before WWII there was an anti-fascist coalition in France. What was it called?
27. Why did fascist governments arise in Europe following World War I?
28. What was the nature and appeal of fascist governments?
29. What was the foreign policy of the United States following WWI?
30. What was the basic cause of the Great Depression, and what was the economic relationship between Europe and the United States at the time?
31. Why was Hitler able to come to power in Germany in 1933?
32. What relationship, if any. was there between the effects of World War I and the causes for World War II?
33. At what stage of development can fascism occur?
34. What were the typical reactions by governments to the depression when it first occurred? What policies did governments follow?
35. What were the German Nuremberg laws?
36. What was a common reaction of Germans to Hitler's attack on Jewish citizens?
37. Understand the difference between fascism and totalitarianism, and know which European nations became totalitarian during the inter-war years.
38. To what class of people in Germany did Hitler most appeal? To what can we attribute Hitler's success in gaining mass support?
39. What were the reasons for British appeasement of Hitler?
40. What were the nature of and the motivation for the holocaust against the Jewish people?
41. Upon whom did the burden of fighting Nazi armies primarily fall?
42. Which nation had the most casualties in WWII?
43. What battle marks the turning point of WWII?
44. What were the characteristics of the fighting in WWII?
45. What were among the consequences of WWII?