HIS-102 Review for 6th Test Professor West
1. Why did nation-states not exist in pre-industrial times?
2. In the forty years since the end of World War IT, in what ways has the process of development and modernization continued?
3. What kinds of government can exist in an industrializing society, and what is the role of propaganda?
4. What long-range political changes, driven by socio-economic and environmental circumstances, can be discerned in the last half of the twentieth century?
5. What major environmental crisis threatens Europe today?
6. What are the economic and political effects of the European Common Market?
7. Where is Europe in the demographic transition?
8. Why did the Soviets establish control over most of Eastern Europe at the end of WWII?
9. What East European communist nation remained free from Soviet control after world War iI?
10. What changes, if any, occurred in Russia after Khrushchev came to power?
11. What was the direction of English domestic policy after World War II, and which political party led the way?
12. What are the present trends in global population in industrialized and in non-industrialized areas of the world.
13. What was the principal cause for U.S. involvement in Vietnam?
14. What circumstances led to the oil price increases in the 1970,s?
15. What was the accepted standard for international currency established after World War II, and what were the causes for the economic crisis of the early 1970,s?
16. What is the approximate total of world population today?
17. What relationship is there between population levels and environmental problems?
18. Which nation is the major consumer of energy today?
19. What is the principal energy source being used today?
20. How much power does the United Nations have in relationship to the member nations? What is the cost of the UN as compared with US military expenditures?
21. How have U.S. and Soviet military expenditures during the Cold war affected their national economies?
22. What was the principal cause for the oil crisis in the 1970's?
23. How extensive are present environmental problems
24. What are some of the positive achievements of the United Nations since its formation?
25. What is the best way to describe nationalism?
26. Why have traditional governments collapsed and been replaced by modern governments during the last two centuries?
27. What scientific and technological developments occurred during the last half of the 19th century?
28. What was the main source of energy that fueled early industrialization?
29. What revolutionary form of transportation encouraged the spread of industrialization?
30. What was the bacterial revolution?
32. What development forms the political divide between the traditional and modern worlds?