HIS-103 Review for Extra Test Professor West
1. Why did the United States become a diverse pluralistic society?
2. What type of government was created under the Articles of Confederation? What type of government was created by the Constitution of 1787?
3. What was Hamilton's main achievement as Secretary of the Treasury?
4. As Secretary of State, what foreign nation did Jefferson favor?
5. Why did the Federalist Party lose support after 1800?
6. How was the Louisiana Territory acquired by the United States?
7. Why did President Jackson destroy the Second U.S. Bank?
8. Why were two new political parties formed by 1836?
9. What was the driving force behind westward expansion?
10. When did slavery first become a controversial issue in the United States?
11. Where did most economic development occur in the United States during the first half of the nineteenth century?
12. What was President Jackson's policy towards the Indians?
13. In the first half of the nineteenth century, from where in Europe did most immigrants come, and where in the United States did they settle?
14. What was the significance of the cotton gin?
15. What caused the formation of the Republican Party?
16. What is the long-term significance of the Civil War?
17. What was President Lincoln's primary objective?
18. What was the effect of slavery upon slaves?
19. How was slavery related to the Civil War?
20. Why and when did President Lincoln sign the